History of the NCMC Cancer Institute
The NCMC Cancer Institute was designed and built as a remodel and new construction project in 2004. It was designed to incorporate two separate medical oncology clinics, a hospital-based radiation oncology department and a hospital-based infusion center.
The Cancer Registry at NCMC is the oldest established registry in the state of Colorado and has been at the core of the NCMC Cancer Program since 1951. The registry now holds over 23,000 cases. For the last eight years, the registry program has been presented the Gold Award by the State of Colorado Cancer Registry for accuracy and timeliness of reporting. Over 620 new analytical cancer cases each year are being diagnosed and treated at the Cancer Institute, which makes an expansion and upgrades in technology vital.
2016 Expansion & Renovation
The North Colorado Medical Center has completed the expansion of the Cancer Institute, enabling to keep pace with the rapid advancements in cancer care technology and demand for cancer care services in Northern Colorado.
The renovation and expansion to the NCMC Cancer Institute includes:
- expanded medical oncology infusion space
- the addition of a new linear accelerator and vault
- adequate support space to provide oncology care delivery services
The expansion and renovation project enables the cancer program to continue to be the regional leader in providing cancer services. The construction plans developed for this project were patterned after Banner M.D. Anderson Cancer Center designs and are considered best-practice nationally.
The program also serves as the tertiary referral center for northeastern Colorado, including support to the David Walsh Cancer Center at Sterling Regional MedCenter in Sterling, Colorado.
Thank you to all who supported the Cancer Institute Expansion & Renovation Campaign, and continue to support the NCMC Cancer Institute.